Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Tuesday shared the contours of the GST(Goods and Services tax) launch program on the midnight of June 30 and July 1.
“Late on June 30 a program will be organised in the central hall of Parliament where all members of the Parliament, GST Council, chief ministers, and officials who have assisted in the process have all been invited,” Jaitley said.
Here’s all you need to know about the event.
1. The GST launch will happen exactly at midnight when the switchover to the new regime takes place.
2. GST will be launched in the presence of President Pranab Mukherjee, who has agreed to be present at the function.
3. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Vice President Hamid Ansari, Speaker of the Lok Sabha Sumitra Mahajan will also grace the occasion.
4. Former prime ministers Manmohan Singh and HD Deve Gowda will also be at the podium when the launch happens, Jaitley said.
5. There will be a brief function of about one hour where the PM Modi and President Pranab Mukherjee will speak on the subject of GST.
6. There will be two short films that will be screened at the launch.
7. The program will take place at the central hall of the Parliament.
At Tuesday’s press briefing, Jaitley said the the industry needs to prepare itself for the switchover to GST and it’s “not a complicated process”. “When the switchover takes place in the short term there will be some challenges,” he added.
Interestingly, independent India’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru had delivered his independence speech “Tryst with Destiny” at the Parliament towards midnight of August 14th and 15th.