Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi today launched a renewed attack on the Modi government slamming the November 8, 2016 move of demonetisation. Speaking at the University of California, Berkeley, Rahul Gandhi said that note ban caused tremendous damage to the economy as it was taken without discussion with the Chief Economic Advisor and Parliament.
Admitting to the fact that the Congress is not in its best of health, Rahul Gandhi said, “Around 2012, arrogance crept into Congress party and we stopped having conversations with people.”
HIGHLIGHTS OF RAHUL GANDHI’S SPEECH:
- By 2013, we basically broke the back of terror, I hugged PM Manmohan Singh and told him it was one of the biggest achievements.
- When we started, terrorism was rampant in Kashmir, when we finished there was peace, we had broken the back of terrorism.
- For 9 years I worked behind the scenes with PM Manmohan Singh, P Chidambaram, Jairam Ramesh and others on J&K.
- So he(PM Modi) massively opened up space for the terrorists in Kashmir, and you saw the increase in violence.
- PDP was instrumental in bringing youngsters in politics, but the day PM Modi made alliance with PDP, he destroyed them (PDP)
- There is a BJP machine, about 1000 guys sitting on computers and telling you about me.
- Tremendous machine, all day they spread abuse about me, and the operation is run by the gentleman who is running our country
- Modi clamped down on RTI. He shut it down. We got in trouble as we dramatically increased transparency
- Most of the country runs like this, so don’t go after me, Akhilesh Yadav a dynast, Stalin a dynast, Dhumal’s son a dynast.
- I am absolutely ready for that, but our party works according to organisational elections.
- Core constituency of right wing leaders are those who cannot get a job.
- Around 2012, arrogance crept into Congress party and we stopped having conversations with people.
- Idea of non violence or ahimsa is what has allowed this mass of people(India) to rise together.
- As Indira Gandhi was asked whether India will switch ‘Left or Right’. She said it will stand straight and tall.
- There is no democratic country in history which has raised so many people out of poverty as India.
- Idea of non-violence is under attack today, yet it is only idea which can take humanity forward.
- Hatred,anger and violence can destroy us, the politics of polarization is very dangerous.
- Decisions like demonetization taken without asking Chief Economic Advisor and Parliament caused tremendous damage.
Rahul Gandhi is on his two-week visit to the US during which he will interact with global thinkers and political leaders, and address overseas Indians as part of an outreach initiative by his party.
In his first engagement, Gandhi today addressed students of the prestigious University of California, Berkeley on India at 70: Reflections on the Path Forward, in which he will offer his reflections on contemporary India and the path forward for the world’s largest democracy.
During his trip to the US, he said, Gandhi will also engage with the Indian diaspora with the purpose of making them a part in India’s development.
From San Francisco, Gandhi is scheduled to travel to Los Angeles. He is likely to visit Aspen Institute to interact with the think-tank community. In Washington DC, the Congress vice president is scheduled to interact with members of the think-tank community, political leaders and government officials.
Gandhi is also scheduled to travel to Princeton University before his final address to overseas Indians in New York.